Income Assistance

Social Services

Ombudsman Saskatchewan has jurisdiction over the Ministry of Social Services. If Social Services made a decision that you think is unfair to you, contact a manager and/or see if you can appeal. If you can’t appeal or your appeal is denied and you still think the Ministry was unfair to you, contact us.

Here are some more details.

Step 1

If you have a question or complaint about an income assistance program, such as the Provincial Training Allowance, the Transitional Employment Allowance (TEA), Social Assistance Plan benefits, Saskatchewan Employment Supplement, Child benefit allowance (Saskatchewan) or the Child Day Care Subsidy, contact Social Services first:

Social Services Client Service Centre

Saskatchewan Assured Income for Disability (SAID) Call Centre

Saskatchewan Employment Supplement

Provincial Training Allowance

Child Day Care Subsidy Unit

Income Supplements


You may also contact the Regional Manager of the local area office. To find local office information, go to:

Step 2

If you disagree with Social Services’ response, the second step is to appeal the decision (when possible) – first to the Local Appeal Committee and then (if still denied), to the Social Services Appeal Board of Saskatchewan. You may wish to work with an advocate, such as one of the following, or one that is available in your local area.

Regina Anti-Poverty Ministry


Community Legal Assistance Services for Saskatoon Inner City Inc. (CLASSIC)


Friendship Inn – Saskatoon


Step 3

If you think the result of your appeal was unfair, or if there was no appeal process available, contact us.



Child Tax Benefit

Ombudsman Saskatchewan does not have jurisdiction over this or other federal programs.

Child Tax Benefits (federal)