Ombudsman Can Now Take Complaints About Municipalities

People who think that an administrative action or decision of a municipality is unfair to them can now take their complaints to Saskatchewan’s Ombudsman, Mary McFadyen.

Changes detailed in The Municipal Conflict of Interest Amendment Act, 2015, which came into force today, also allow the Ombudsman to investigate conflict of interest allegations against municipal mayors, reeves, and counsellors, and members of committees and boards created by municipal councils.

“These changes increase public accountability for municipalities and give citizens a new way to raise concerns about municipal services that affect them,” said Ombudsman Mary McFadyen. “I look forward to working with municipalities and the people they serve.”

If you think you are being treated unfairly by a city, town, village, rural municipality or northern municipality, McFadyen says that you should first contact them to try to resolve the problem. “First, ask for reasons why the decision was made and whether they will reconsider. They may be willing to resolve the issue. If you still think you are being treated unfairly, we may be able to help.”

The Ombudsman already has the jurisdiction to take complaints about provincial government ministries, agencies, Crown corporations, boards, commissions and many health entities. This new legislation expands the Ombudsman’s jurisdiction to include the 780 municipalities in the province.

For more information about the Ombudsman’s Office, see To make a complaint, call 1-800-667-9787 or use the online form.